Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sage and Snow

I kissed those lips once
extracted drop by drop
the holiest of liquids
o fluid love, o mountaintop!

Your fountainhead's dried up
softly ceasing, little stones
lighten in color, as your
body leaves their bones

Sage and snow, a stoic sylvan throne
tread lightly across the surface
undisturbed until you come
and weave frosted bowers upon the peak, upon the place

Where lonely I lived, o quiet grace!
O empty space!

[instrumental]

Come, sweet, soft
twining vines surround you
my heart is a fruit fallen off
of your limbs, of your limbs, of your warmest bough!

Bursting open, sapped and sticky, I am drowned
and the ants crawl in to my grieving skin
to pluck away my seedling hope
and to scatter my body in the wind

And wither tend you now?
I am the seed, I am the vagrant spore
Wind-tossed and wandering, hollow and soft
inchoate, separate from your barky moor

Rooted, you must be where you were before
but it seems you're as breeze-blown as I
For the earth, she has turned her face
clear around, left you inverse, dangling in the sky

She has left you, lonelier than I.

No comments: