Monday, July 11, 2011

This night is a coda to a summer,
to a city in equilibrium.

With britches dropped in the wet grass
on the Oak's Bottom lookout,
I am pissing downhill in joyous abundance
at the lake, at the amusement
park's dark stars, singing
with frogs in my ears and and naughty soft
touches from the high marsh reeds
and the cool wind.

Everything but the lake
is reflected in the lake,
and tilt-a-whirl screams roll
across its sheeny surface like excited ghosts,
mingling with the peepers and the moths
as they climb the cliff where my ears
breathe the shaking spirits in like smoke.

From up here the carnival is cradled in mountains,
but I know its illness and delight in the lurch
of the careening evening.

The crematorium sits to my right,
its dread face blankly
overlooking the rites of the median strip
and the ghoulishness of neon
at midnight. Soon I will rejoin its dead world
and clamber into a dumpster
to scavenge bread like a raccoon,
but for now I am content to time the roar
of the screaming lights
to the leery frogs
in darkness,
my words made equally visible
by the street-lamp and the stars.

No comments: