Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ode to the Sky and Her Clouds

Her formidable clouds obsess me
to the point that I fix my gaze constantly upon the blue bowl that contains them
and I become the circadian sunflower: my entire life
spent experiencing the sky.

These cloud giants
are what first allowed me to conceive of her,
the planet,
as magical.
Looking up at their whiteness,
their decidedly un-geometric and abstract beauty, I realized
that they existed
not in another realm of coldness
and sparse air,
but in the center of a vast vault,
our skin,
that connects this world
indefinitely to all the others.

The science of their bodies,
the ephemerality of their forms (a solid-seeming
thing made up of water)
is what revealed to me the true miracle of this world:
we are
from top to bottom
an open system,
and all parts cohere in a manner as precise and scientific as the laws that allow
our amazing clouds (just
simple wisps of gas) to form.
It was that dense condensation that opened my heart
to the regularity and perfection of nature.



7.18.10

No comments: